What’s that one comfort food that you just can’t live without? For me, shrimp and grits has always been one of my all-time favorite comfort foods for as long as I can remember. I love everything about shrimp and grits! It’s just something about creamy grits topped with plump delicious shrimp that I think is just amazing. I can eat shrimp and grits for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It’s just that good.
As you probably know by now I’m a firm believer of living life and not depriving myself of foods that I enjoy so I’ve created a lightened up version that is just as delicious, but a lot lighter than the traditional versions. My recipe eliminates the majority of the butter that is typically used. For my version of shrimp and grits I decided to use 1/3 fat cream cheese and just a little bit of butter. To lighten things up a bit more, turkey bacon is used instead of the regular pork bacon that is usually used as a topper.
What makes these shrimp and grits extra special is that we add green onions and chopped tomatoes. I chose to add the green onions, and tomatoes, because I thought that would take the dish over the top, and, well… I was right! The tomatoes and green onions give this dish a pop of freshness, which I really like. Together with the creamy grits and shrimp that are cooked just right… it is absolute perfection!
This recipe is one that is great for a weekend when you have family and friends coming over. Everyone that I have ever served this to raves about it.
If you like shrimp and grits you’ll love this dish. It may just be the best version you’ve ever had. Even if you’ve never actually had shrimp and grits before, I promise you… THIS is a MUST TRY. Although there are a couple of steps involved in making this dish, the recipe is very simple. Get in your kitchen, make this recipe and let me know what you think.
Lightened Up Shrimp & Grits
- For the Grits:
- Quick Cooking Grits- 1 Cup
- Water- 4 ¾ Cups
- Unsalted Butter- 1 Tablespoon
- Cream Cheese (1/3 Fat)- 2 Tablespoons
- Sharp Cheddar Shredded Cheese- ¾ Cup
- Plain Unsweetened Almond Milk- 3 Tablespoons
- Salt- 1 Teaspoon
- For the Shrimp:
- Large Shrimp- 1 LB
- Salt- ¼ Teaspoon
- Pepper- 1/8 Teaspoon
- Paprika- 1/4 Teaspoon
- Garlic Powder- ½ Teaspoon
- For the Sauce:
- Vegetable Broth- 1 1/2 Cups
- Green Bell pepper- 1 Cup
- Red Bell pepper- 1 Cup
- Corn Starch- 2 Teaspoons
- Water- 4 Teaspoons
- Garlic Powder- ¼ Teaspoon
- Pinch of Salt (optional)
- Turkey bacon- 2 Pieces
- Scallions- 1/4 Cup
- Roma Tomato- 1 Medium
- Avocado Oil- 1 ¼ Teaspoon (or Non-Stick Cooking Spray)
- Step 1 Wash and cut up scallions. Use green parts only. Set aside.
- Step 2 Wash and dice tomatoes. Set aside.
- Step 3 Wash and dice bell peppers. Set aside.
- Step 4 Mix cornstarch with 4 teaspoons of water. Set aside.
- Step 5 Season shrimp with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Set aside.
- Step 6 Bring 4 ¾ cups of water to a boil with 1 teaspoon of salt. Once water is boiling, remove pot from the burner and add grits. Stir grits well and return back to the hot burner. Cover pot and reduce heat to medium. Cook grits for 7 minutes, stirring frequently, about every 2 minutes.
- Step 7 After grits have been cooking for 7 minutes, turn off the heat and add butter, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and almond milk. Mix well. Cover pot and set aside.
- Step 8 Place ¼ teaspoon of oil in a hot pan, over medium heat (or spray down with non-stick spray) then add 2 pieces of turkey bacon and cook until slightly crispy. Once the bacon is done, remove from the pan, chop into bite-sized pieces, and set aside. Do not wash the pan. You will use it later for the sauce.
- Step 9 In a large pan add 1 teaspoon of oil (or use non-stick cooking spray). Once the pan is hot add shrimp. Cook on medium high until all shrimp are cooked through and pink. Once shrimp are done remove from the heat.
- Step 10 While shrimp are cooking add bell peppers, vegetable broth, garlic powder, and pepper to the same pan that you cooked the bacon. Stir this mixture and cook on medium heat until bell peppers are softened. This takes about 4-5 minutes. Once bell peppers are softened add cornstarch mixture and stir well for about 30 seconds. Remove sauce from the burner and add a pinch of salt if needed.
- Step 11 To serve: Divide the grits evenly between 4 bowls. Top grits with sauce, shrimp, bacon, tomatoes, and scallions.
- Step 12 Enjoy!
More Recipes To Try:
Want to remember this recipe? Save this post to your favorite Pinterest Board!